Premier League star Demba Ba slammed by magistrates after failing to appear at three speeding case hearings
By Rob Preece
PUBLISHED: 11:59 EST, 4 September 2012 | UPDATED: 12:05 EST, 4 September 2012
No show: Newcastle United striker Demba Ba was given a six-month driving ban by magistrates, who criticised him for not turning up at court
A Premier League footballer, who failed to attend court three times after his car was caught speeding, has been banned from driving.
Newcastle United striker Demba Ba was given a six-month ban in his absence by magistrates, who criticised him for not turning up.
The 27-year-old had given no reason for his failure to appear at South East Northumberland Magistrates' Court for the case.
Magistrates heard that the Senegal international's car had been caught speeding on two occasions.
Northumbria Police wrote to Ba in November last year and asked him to tell them who had been driving the car.
Ba, who lives on the affluent Darras Hall estate in Ponteland, Newcastle, had until December 13 to respond, but he failed to provide the details.
The footballer, who used to play for West Ham United, was later charged with failing to supply driver information.
Ba was written to and told to appear at South East Northumberland magistrates on May 17 to answer the charge, but failed to show.
At that hearing, he was given six penalty points on his licence, fined £1,000, and told to pay £85 costs plus a £15 victim surcharge.
But the case was later reopened after it emerged that Ba already had six points on his licence and a further six would take him to 12 - the point at which a driver can be banned.
He was asked to return to the court in Bedlington, Northumberland, on August 1 but again failed to appear.
The court then wrote to Ba again, warning him that magistrates were considering banning him from driving.
Banned: Ba (right), pictured in action for Newcastle United, failed to attend court three times after being charged with a driving-related offence
Ba was again absent, however, when the case ended last Thursday.
Peter Edwards, chairman of the bench, said: 'We are satisfied that Mr Ba has failed to attend court yet again.'
Magistrates were told that the court 'knew nothing' of the player’s means.
They reimposed the original penalty of six points, the £1,000 fine, the £85 contribution to costs and £15 victim surcharge.
Ba was given 14 days to pay the fine and costs and banned from driving for six months.
Police would not release details of his car, the locations where it was caught speeding, nor the speed at which it was driven.
Newcastle United declined to comment on the case.
Headlines Newsview all
A MUSLIM hate preacher who was allowed to tour British mosques and spread the message of jihad may have planted the idea of the London ... Full story
Figures produced by the Department of Health show that, since 2007-8, the UK has paid £6.18billion in health costs for British citizens in Europe – ... Full story
ISLAMIC State has issued a chilling video warning that London is next to be hit by a terror attack at least as deadly as the ... Full story
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON CAPITALBAY
- Chilling moment woman is followed into off-licence before being lured into woods and raped
- Battered into a coma for complaining about dog barking at night: Thug jailed for LIFE
- 27 stone obese mum books CRUISE then asks YOU to fund £10k operation to lose weight
Thousands of handmade poppies have transformed the Royal Hospital Chelsea in a beautiful new exhibitionChelsea Pensioners were treated to a sneak preview ahead of the show's opening ...
MS804 did NOT swerve or lose altitude before it vanished, says Egypt air traffic official – as memorial service is held for the 66 victims at Cairo mosque
By Simon Tomlinson for MailOnline Published: 01:50 EST, 24 May 2016 | Updated: 02:09 EST, 24 May 2016 ...
Eighteen girls at Pitakiatwittaya School died after becoming trapped Survivors were only able to escape because they had not yet gone to bedThai authorities are investigating ...
Advisers in Sir Philip's empire knew Dominic Chappell had been bankrupt Revelations emerged yesterday in Commons Business Work and Pensions select committees hearing yesterdayThe 88-year-old British ...
Clancy Leach is accused of hurling eggs at stage of reality stars' eventShe was arrested at Westfield in Parramatta, western Sydney, in NovemberPolice allege she ...
Australian Leather Pty Ltd fighting in U.S. court over the name 'ugg boots' Sydney-based company is trying to stop Deckers from getting a trademark The case is ...
Five died when plane crashed moments after take off at Port Allen AirportTwo tandem jumpers, two skydive instructors and a pilot were all killedThe single-engine ...
A 2014 census study shows number of 'nones' is now above 50 per centPercentage has almost doubled since the census three years previouslyReport by St ...
Bombardier boss said driverless trains are being used around the worldHe said driverless trains could be more efficient for Melbourne passengersSystem allows shorter distances between trains so ...
Sugar cane production has dropped amid Venezuela's crippling recessionCoca Cola declared end to sugar-infused Coke in the country on MondayCoke Light and zero-sugar beverages will ...