Leanne McNuff murder: 'Daddy's killed mummy': What four-year-old son of soldier said 'after he witnessed murder of his mother for having an abortion'
- Lance Corporal Ian Lowe, 25, repeatedly knifed Leanne McNuff and stamped on her face, jury hears
- Miss McNuff, 24, had terminated their unborn baby in secret less than two weeks before the killing in Droylsden, Greater Manchester
- The couple's four-year-old son witnessed his father killing his mother, court told
By Suzannah Hills
PUBLISHED: 09:58 EST, 4 September 2012 | UPDATED: 12:30 EST, 4 September 2012
A soldier stabbed his girlfriend to death in front of their four-year-old son who was found crying and screaming ‘Daddy’s killed Mummy’, a court heard.
Lance Corporal Ian Lowe, 25, is alleged to have kicked down the door to Leanne McNuff's home and stabbed her repeatedly in a ‘deliberate and unprovoked attack’ at the top of the stairs before stamping on her face.
The couple’s son, Jaden, was at Miss McNuff’s home in Droylsden, Greater Manchester, at the time of the attack in March this year.
Family: Soldier Ian Lowe girlfriend Leanne McNuff, who he allegedly stabbed to death after finding out she had terminated their unborn baby, and their son Jaden
Father figure: Ian Lowe with his son Jaden when he was just three months old
When Miss McNuff’s brother Ryan
dashed to help his dying sister, the youngster told him: 'Daddy’s killed
mummy', the court heard.
The boy later said to his grandmother, who lived next door and rushed to give CPR: 'Can you help mummy, Nana?'
Manchester Crown Court heard Mr Lowe, a lance corporal with 1st Battalion, the Duke of Lancaster Regiment, had discovered that Leanne, 24, had aborted their second child when he hacked into her Facebook account.
It is also alleged that he discovered on the day she was killed that Leanne had started a relationship with another man.
Lowe, who had been in a stormy, on-off relationship with Leanne since 2006, was on bail at the time of the murder after being charged with assaulting her in February.
He has admitted a charge of manslaughter but denies murder, claiming Leanne lunged at him with the knife and he wrestled it from her grasp.
Victim: Leanne McNuff was killed in March this year after her ex-boyfriend learned that she had an abortion, a court heard
The court was told how Leanne was found in a pool of blood by her brother, Ryan McNuff, on Sunday, March 11.
Neil Flewitt QC said: 'When Ryan McNuff stepped inside he saw Jaden to the right of the front door, crying and screaming ‘Daddy’s killed Mummy’.
'Ryan McNuff checked the living room and, on discovering that it was empty, ran quickly upstairs where he discovered the body of his sister lying on the landing.'
The jury was told that Leanne’s mother, Margaret McNuff, then ran inside and found her grandson standing at the top of the stairs wearing his pyjamas.
He said ‘Can you help Mummy, Nana?’, the court was told.
The court heard that a neighbour, Sheila Holland, ran to help and agreed to take care of the child before police and paramedics arrived.
Mr Flewitt said: 'Once inside Jaden said to Sheila Holland, ‘Sheila, do
you know my Daddy? He has killed my Mummy and she is all red’.'
jury was told that Lowe, who was based at Army barracks in Catterick,
North Yorkshire, and had started a relationship with another woman, ran
to the home of his mother, Lorraine Lowe, and confessed.
is alleged to have told Mrs Lowe: 'I booted the front door in.He was
in the front room and Leanne was at the top of the stairs, shouting at
me to get out. I ran up, stabbed her four times and I stamped on her
Mr Lowe, who the jury was told had been drinking at
Droylsden Labour Club before the stabbing, was arrested and told police:
'Okay no problem. I’ve been at the pub all night' and then asked after
The jury was told of Leanne’s horrific stab and stamp injuries, including marks on her hands where she fought to save her life.
Mr Flewitt said ‘patterned bruises’ caused by the impact of the sole of a shoe were found on her face.
Killed: Leanne McNuff was repeatedly stabbed and stamped on by her former boyfriend, Ian Lowe, after he discovered she had terminated their unborn baby, a court was told
He added: 'Although it is not likely that these blows accelerated Leanne McNuff’s death, they could have rendered her unconscious or dazed, making her less capable of defending herself from attack.'
The court heard that, when the pair met at Miss McNuff's home to discuss the pregnancy on February 18, a violent row broke out during which Lowe called Miss McNuff a 'prostitute' and accused her of 'sleeping around'.
Break up: Leanne McNuff and Lowe had been dating since 2006 but broke up a month before the killing in March this year
As Miss McNuff tried to force him out of the house, Lowe is said to have grabbed her by the thoat and begun 'shaking her from side to side'.
In a statement given to police at the time, Miss McNuff recalled: 'He’s shaking me from side to side and I’m almost on the floor.
'I’ve lost my footing but being held up by Ian gripping my clothing and he’s shaking me about.
'Somehow, whilst he’s still ragging me about, I’ve twisted and he’s got hold of my hair.
'Now he’s got a grip of my clothing and a grip of my hair and he’s still shaking me about.
'At some point he’s let go of my jumper and his left arm has come around my throat choking me and making it hard to breathe for a few seconds. I was frightened to death.
'I didn’t know what was going to happen. I was scared wither he’d really hurt me or I’d lose the baby.
'Then Ian’s released me and pushed me to the floor. He’s gone to kick me.
'At first I think he was going to kick me hard but he held back and it wasn’t a very hard kick in my back.
'Then he’s picked up his bag and ran out of the gate.'
Lowe was later arrested and charged with assault and was ordered not to contact Leanne under his bail conditions.
But the court heard that, only an hour later, Miss McNuff rang police again to claim that Lowe had called her.
The next day, February 20, Miss McNuff went in secret to an abortion clinic for a consultation.
Scene: Police at the house in Droylsden, Greater Manchester, where Leanne McNuff's body was found
She terminated the unborn baby on March 1.
Lowe found out about the abortion on March 10 - the day before the killing - when he hacked into Leanne’s Facebook account, the court heard.
The day before her death Mr Lowe, who used Facebook under the name Ian ‘Boom Boom’ Lowe, wrote on his Facebook page: 'Need a weapon out of the armoury to shoot the bitch', the jury heard.
That evening, Lowe went for a drink with his father and a family friend who said he 'looked as if he had the weight of the world on his shoulders'.
He is alleged to have killed Miss McNuff hours later.
Lowe denies murder. The trial continues.
Tributes: A policeman guards flowers left outside Miss McNuff's home following her death in March
Latest Nigeria News
- British Airways passenger BITTEN while helping airline crew tackle ‘nutter at 40,000 ft’
- 'I know it's my fault' 27st mum asks YOU to donate to life-saving op to lose weight
- Panama Papers: Mossack Fonseca link to Brink's Mat robbery
- Daily Star On Sunday Forced To Correct Claims Mosques ‘Fundraised For Terror’
- BBC ‘spent £5,000 of licence fee cash on holiday for actress and her boyfriend’
- 'Leave now' Dutch urge Britons to back Brexit amid despotic EU plot to IGNORE their voters
- Chilling photos appear to show GHOST CHILDREN inside haunted 300-year-old home
- Cricket club chairman suffers heart attack after chasing vandals away from pitch
- Mum left with huge 'shark bite' scar after 'doctors failed to spot life-threatening bone poisoning'
- Sour Puss: Women find the perfect underwear to communicate 'it's that time of the month
- Red-carpets laid out for Islam hate preachers at universities and NO-ONE challenges them
- Is there a black PANTHER stalking the British countryside?
- ‘Crack And Cider’ Helped Homeless People - And Now It’s Helping Their Dogs Too
- Footage shows police being pelted with bricks and petrol bombs by 'angry mob'
- 'Love you always, Debbie': Magician Paul Daniels is laid to rest with heartfelt note from his wife and a silver wand on his coffin
- JK Rowling’s April Fools’ Day Tweet Effortlessly Trolls Scottish Independence Campaigners
- National Living Wage In Comparison To Minimum Wages Across Europe
- Devoted couple married 75 years despite having the SAME row THOUSANDS of times
- Paris terrorist Salah Abdeslam agrees to turn supergrass for French police… making the world's most wanted man now the No.1 ISIS target
- David Cameron must do the right thing and save thousands of jobs reliant on steel
- Heaven help them! Devout evangelical Christians baptised children in the sea as enormous waves from Storm Katie crashed around threatening to sweep them away to certain death
- Donald Trump Protester Gets “Groped” And Pepper-Sprayed At Wisconsin Rally
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: Bullies film themselves battering and spitting on girl while LAUGHING
- Pair found dead at home and two men injured following stabbing
- GRAPHIC CONTENT: Bullies film themselves battering and spitting on girl while LAUGHING
- Driver stunned to hit CAMEL in Swedish road after it escaped from travelling circus
- Brussels Bomb Survivor Sneha Mehta Writes Letter Of Hope To Unborn Baby
- EgyptAir hijack: Hijacker surrenders at Larnaca airport
- Daughter posts shocking video of disabled dad climbing stairs on hands and knees in plea for help
- Villagers threaten to chain themselves to a ROCK in bizarre council row
- Easter weekend opening times for Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Marks & Spencer and more
- Harlow bouncy castle death: Girl, 7, died from 'multiple injuries' when inflatable was blown 150 metres
- Nearly 300 suspected illegal migrants arrested in just two years at M25 Cobham Services
- Trafalgar Square Actors Carry Out Pretend Killing Ahead Of Annual Easter Egg Hunt
- Islamophobic Graffiti Appears In Dublin After Brussels Attacks, Is Immediately Turned Into A Compliment
- Brussels Police Raid Neighbourhood: Blasts Heard And At Least One Arrest Made
- Maundy Thursday: Queen hands out 90th birthday coins
- Adam Johnson sentencing LIVE: Footballer jailed for SIX YEARS for sex offence with teen
- Brian Bilston’s ‘Refugee’ Poem Moves Thousands With Brilliant Hidden Message
- Morrisons Easter opening times 2016 - when the stores will be open on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Monday