Plans for £10.4m of government funding for sports car maker Group Lotus have been put on hold while its new owner makes a decision on its future.
Norfolk-based Group Lotus was promised regional growth funding last October when its then owner Proton announced plans to create 1,000 jobs.
Earlier this year Proton was acquired by Malaysia's DRB-Hicom.
Business minister Norman Lamb said the funding was on hold, but the government was still committed to Lotus.
Mr Lamb, Lib Dem MP for North Norfolk, said: "Everybody wants to ensure this company remains in operation in Norfolk.
"The government and my department are in close contact with the company and monitoring the situation.
"I am incredibly keen to see that jobs remain in Norfolk. It is incredibly important to the Norfolk economy."
He added that the government was committed to using the regional growth funding to help Group Lotus if its plans for extra jobs in the county proceeded.'Historic link'
Group Lotus said it did not wish to comment on these developments, but last week a spokesperson said: "The new Proton owners DRB-Hicom are currently in the middle of their due diligence of Group Lotus.
"There have been and continue to be positive discussions between Group Lotus senior management and senior management at DRB-Hicom both here in Hethel and in Malaysia.
"Despite various rumours in the media to the contrary, at no point has DRB-Hicom indicated to Group Lotus that they intend to put the company into administration and we welcome the opportunity to put that rumour, along with incorrect speculation that production has stopped, that Dany Bahar is no longer CEO and that we are no longer involved in F1, to bed."
On Saturday, it was revealed that investment firm Genii Capital was looking over Group Lotus' company books and considering whether to make an offer to buy it from DRB-Hircom.
A spokesman for the Luxemberg-based venture capital firm, which owns the Lotus F1 team - formerly owned by Group Lotus - told the BBC it respected the "historic link" between Lotus and Norfolk.
Headlines Newsview all
A MUSLIM hate preacher who was allowed to tour British mosques and spread the message of jihad may have planted the idea of the London ... Full story
Figures produced by the Department of Health show that, since 2007-8, the UK has paid £6.18billion in health costs for British citizens in Europe – ... Full story
ISLAMIC State has issued a chilling video warning that London is next to be hit by a terror attack at least as deadly as the ... Full story
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON CAPITALBAY
- The Duke of Wellington's daughter prepares for her wedding to her Colombian billionaire fiancé
- England vs Sri Lanka LIVE cricket score: DAY TWO of second Test
- Victoria Silvstedt showcases her hourglass figure at Monaco fashion show
Thousands of handmade poppies have transformed the Royal Hospital Chelsea in a beautiful new exhibitionChelsea Pensioners were treated to a sneak preview ahead of the show's opening ...
MS804 did NOT swerve or lose altitude before it vanished, says Egypt air traffic official – as memorial service is held for the 66 victims at Cairo mosque
By Simon Tomlinson for MailOnline Published: 01:50 EST, 24 May 2016 | Updated: 02:09 EST, 24 May 2016 ...
Eighteen girls at Pitakiatwittaya School died after becoming trapped Survivors were only able to escape because they had not yet gone to bedThai authorities are investigating ...
Advisers in Sir Philip's empire knew Dominic Chappell had been bankrupt Revelations emerged yesterday in Commons Business Work and Pensions select committees hearing yesterdayThe 88-year-old British ...
Clancy Leach is accused of hurling eggs at stage of reality stars' eventShe was arrested at Westfield in Parramatta, western Sydney, in NovemberPolice allege she ...
Australian Leather Pty Ltd fighting in U.S. court over the name 'ugg boots' Sydney-based company is trying to stop Deckers from getting a trademark The case is ...
Five died when plane crashed moments after take off at Port Allen AirportTwo tandem jumpers, two skydive instructors and a pilot were all killedThe single-engine ...
A 2014 census study shows number of 'nones' is now above 50 per centPercentage has almost doubled since the census three years previouslyReport by St ...
Bombardier boss said driverless trains are being used around the worldHe said driverless trains could be more efficient for Melbourne passengersSystem allows shorter distances between trains so ...
Sugar cane production has dropped amid Venezuela's crippling recessionCoca Cola declared end to sugar-infused Coke in the country on MondayCoke Light and zero-sugar beverages will ...